|Closing Date||12th of August|
|Location||HQ – Addis Ababa|
About Saving Lives and Livelihoods Programme
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) was officially launched in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, on January 31, 2017. The Africa CDC is Africa’s first continent-wide public health agency and envisions a safer, healthier, integrated and stronger Africa, where Member States are capable of effectively responding to outbreaks of infectious diseases and other public health threats. The agency mission is to strengthen Africa’s public health institutions’ capabilities to detect and respond quickly and effectively to disease outbreaks and other health burdens through an integrated network of continent-wide preparedness and response, surveillance, laboratory, and research programmes.
Africa CDC has been at the forefront of the continent’s fight against the pandemic. The agency has set a goal to vaccinate 60 percent the continent’s population before the end of 2024. To achieve this ambitious and critical goal, the Africa CDC and the Mastercard Foundation are launching “Saving Lives and Livelihoods,” “partnership for COVID-19 Vaccination in Africa.” The planned Saving Lives and Livelihoods partnership is a unique initiative due to its scope and scale, the critical topics it focuses on, as well as the way it will be governed.
The Senior Technical Officer for IPC will coordinate and facilitate IPC activities within Africa CDC including the Save Lives and Livelihoods Programme.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Technical Officer for IPC shall:
- Set targets, support planning, monitor performance of IPC activities for Africa CDC including the Save Lives and Livelihoods Programme.
- Support the design of Continuous IPC quality improvement interventions.
- Develop/review/revise the IPC technical implementation guidelines, SOPs and other guidance documents as necessary.
- Provide analytical support on IPC as needed by different teams in Africa CDC.
- Support the development and process management of IPC technical initiatives.
- Take part in the development of IPC core components for preparedness, response and recovery from COVID-19 and other infectious disease outbreaks.
- Conduct COVID-19 vaccine IPC capacity building for Member States including national IPC focal persons and port health IPC personnel.
- Coordinate and facilitate IPC for COVID-19 vaccine Virtual trainings in collaboration with IPC Technical Working Group (TWG).
- Facilitate identification of IPC needs for member States and as well as provision of relevant IPC supplies based on identified need and request.
- Provide technical support to Member States to inform strategic, technical and operational decisions related to IPC best practices and implementation.
- Conduct both operational and implementation research in IPC as it relates to COVID-19 and other infectious diseases.
- Support Member States to adopt and adapt evidence informed guidelines on IPC for COVID-19 vaccine.
- Prepares monthly and annual reports on IPC activities.
- Participate in the planning for IPC activities for the incident action plan.
- Represent Africa CDC in a professional manner, which creates a positive image and enhances the credibility of the organization.
- Perform any other duties as requested by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Skills required
Master’s Degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, Health Systems Management or a related health field with 7 years of work Candidates need to have at least 3 years of supervisory and managerial experience.
Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, Health Systems Management or a related health field with 10 years of work Candidates need to have at least 3 years of supervisory and managerial experience.
Required skills and Competencies
- Working experience in supporting the implementation of public health programmes with emphasis on Infection prevention and control.
- Demonstrable technical expertise and experience in the development of policies, processes, procedures and tools for infection prevention and control.
- Knowledge and experience in supporting public health emergencies programmes under government ministries and external donors.
- Demonstrable experience and in-depth knowledge of operations of the Africa CDC, Regional Collaborating Centres and National Public Health Institutes is preferred.
- Clear understanding of the health systems on the Continent and fair knowledge of operations of the Ministries of Health in Member States.
- Excellent computer skills, including word-processing capabilities, proficiency with e-mail and internet applications, experience in using office software applications such as MS Excel, Power Point and Word.
- Leadership and management Pro-active and solutions oriented.
- Analytical and problem solving abilities.
- Ability to build strong relationships internally and with external actors.
- Proven ability to use clear, concise language in correspondence as well as when preparing written briefs and reports.
- High level of autonomy at work, yet with profound team spirit.
- Ability to work under pressure, with minimal supervision, and in a culturally diverse team.
- Adaptive, patient, resourceful, resilient and flexible.
Applicants must be proficient in at least one of the African Union working languages (English, French, Arabic, Spanish or Portuguese). Knowledge of two or more of African Union working languages would be an added advantage.
To apply for this post, click on the “Apply” button on the job advert page, complete our online application form, and submit your CV and cover letter in two different documents, which should be prepared before applying as they will be considered in the application process. The cover letter should be no more than two pages long and explain why you are interested in this post and how your skills and experience make you a good fit. The document should be saved in MS Word in the following format: Your First Name-Your Last Name-Document Name-Date (mmyy) e.g., Pat-Jones-CV-062022-AFENET or Pat-Jones-CoverLetter-062022-AFENET
|Closing Date||12th of August|
|Location||HQ – Addis Ababa|